Thursday, January 03, 2013

Typical Advice I Disagree With

So no, the world did not end, blah blah blah. But my grandfather's friend passed away on Christmas. For him, the world did end. He had no more time to spend with loved ones, no more time to quit those bad habits, no more time to smell fresh coffee or play with his grandchildren or meet new people. No, the world did not end. But it could, for any of us, at any given moment. And it will for all of us, at some point.

Let's not think about when that will be, but make sure that when that time comes we can look back and honestly say to ourselves that we did our best, and we lived without regrets. Make mistakes, kiss a stranger, write your bucket list and then make sure to go through with the things you write down. Now I've heard many people say "live each day like it's your last" or something along the lines of that, and I'm gonna tell you, I think that's complete bullshit. Consequences exist, so don't go out and spend all your money on a trip to Sweden or a new wardrobe inspired by Lady Gaga.

I would change this proverb to something like "live each day being the person you want to be, doing what you want to do, to get where you want to be". Enjoy the present, preparing for a future. If you have anything you'd like to add or change, please comment :)

This is my bucket list so far, in no particular order. Some seem unimportant, maybe silly, but these are things I look forward to doing, and that keep me going.
  • Love and be loved
  • Dye my hair red
Check and check!


















  • Have children
  • Live with no regrets
  • Have my own house/apartment
  • Learn to drive
  • Pass the TKT (Teaching Knowledge Testing)
  • Write a blog
  • Graduate from college
  • Go to London
  • Go to Paris
  • Live in either for a spell
  • Visit David in Seattle
  • Learn French
  • Buy a nice camera
  • Write and produce a short film
  • Write a song that I actually like
  • Sing in a rock band again
  • Sing and dance in the rain
  • Plant 10 trees 
  • Write for a newspaper or magazine
  • Become editor/designer for a newspaper or magazine
  • Learn to make my own clothes
  • Grow my own food
  • Go to a Coldplay concert
  • Make short videos about English (grammar, usage) and upload them to YouTube
  • Have 50 subscribers on my blog (as of today, I have none)
  • Get married for all the right reasons
  • Start a business
  • Write a book
  • Have a house/cabin in a wooded area
  • Have a pool
  • Go to the Festival Cervantino in Guanajuato
  • Plant 10 more trees
  • Make a change for the better in someone's life
  • Have my own sewing machine
  • Have a big, beautiful garden to relax in after long days
  • Go to a play in Broadway
  • Take singing lessons
  • Grow my hair past my shoulders (it hasn't been that long since I was a child)
Since I wrote it, I have done some of the things I listed, which feels pretty awesome. No New Year's resolutions for me, this list has me covered. If you write your own bucket list (and you should), put it somewhere where it will constantly remind you of your goals, and once you check off each item it will be a reminder of your accomplishments. Go you!

No comments:

Post a Comment